I was recurrently getting the following error when installing Office 2007 or 2010 on Windows 7:
Error 2203. An Internal Error has occurred. (C:WindowsInstaller******.ipi – 2147287035 ) Contact Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) for assistance. For information about how to contact PSS, see C:usersmy_userAppDataLocalTempSetup00000420PSS10R.CHM
(The .ipi file being everytime different)
Looking for a solution, I first found this link which suggested to restart Windows Installer service, and give Full Control permission to “Everyone” on %TEMP% folder.
Unfortunately for me, this never happen to solve my issue.
I finally thought about Windows Clean Boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 .
Here follow the steps I used to install correctly Office:
1. Click Start and type "msconfig.exe" in the Start Search box. Press Enter.
2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup and clear the "Load Startup Items" check box.
3. In the "Services" tab, check "Hide all Microsoft Services" and click disable all.
4. In the "Startup" tab, click "Disable all".
5. Click OK.
6. Restart the computer and try to install Office again. The installation should execute perfectly.
7. After the installation, go back to msconfig.exe and select “Normal startup”. This should also bring back all previous configurations in “Services” and “Startup” tabs.